Friday, April 16, 2010

The Benefits of Facebook

My morning routine consists of getting breakfast for the kids and while the oatmeal/pancakes/eggs are cooking I flip open my trusty Mac and open up my e-mail. Ugh, junk. That's mostly what I get from e-mail now and it almost makes me wonder why I even check it on a daily basis. Of course if I didn't, the junk would pile up so much that it would overwhelm even the hint of a good e-mail and I'd be sure to scrap the whole thing and miss something important. However, now I have another vice to check up on - Facebook. My purpose with Facebook is mostly to see how other people's lives are way more interesting than mine . . . most of the time. I have to admit, I hate invites to Farmland, Flowerland, Heartland, and whatever other fluff there is on Facebook. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I ignore them all, hope you don't mind.
I'm not the type to keep so up to date on Facebook that I post something every day or all day long. If it's 10:30, 11:00 at night I figure most people are going to bed and don't care if I tell them that I am going to bed too. However, I love to get a good laugh and Facebook can occasionally be full of them. It's fun to hear the quirky things that people are doing and that their kids are doing. I'm a sucker for funny kid stories. The thing I like best about Facebook? I love finding old friends! People's names will pop in my head and I'll think, I wonder where they are now. I know! I'll see if I can find them on Facebook. I have found mission buddies, college roommates, High School friends and more. It's great. I recently got back in contact with my best friend from when I was eleven and living in England. It's crazy and fun to see where people I was so close to at one point have ended up and oddly look like they have barely aged. I also found my best friend from the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. It has made my day being able to keep in contact with people I thought I would never talk to again.
I think life is about relationships. Those we have with our family, but also those we have with friends and acquaintances and the way those people can touch and enrich our lives make everything worth it.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Yes FB can be great but dang it can be an addiction! I will have to look for you on there, ha ha. (I totally agree about the mafia, farmville, fishville stuff though. blah.)